Thursday, July 23, 2009

Justice on Display

"But the Lord abides forever; He has established His throne for judgment, and He will judge the world in righteousness; He will execute judgment for the peoples with equity. The Lord also will be a stronghold for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble, and those who know Thy name will put their trust in Thee; For Thou, O Lord, hast not forsaken those who seek Thee." Psalm 9:7-10

What a promise. The promise that the judge, the true judge of all creation, not an impostor in black robes, will be a safe place of protection to His people. He promises to display justice - not a warped, marginalized injustice that ignores the oppressed, but a true justice that restores what has been taken.

We dwell in a land that is compromised every day by injustice. We are told justice is blind, which is the real truth - justice is indeed blind. We are a litigious society. We look on our neighbor with covetousness and convince ourselves that we deserve what we have not earned. Our justice makes it easy to take people to court to extract their wealth from them, because, after all, this is America, and we can. We are civilized.

My family knows first hand the experience of the American justice system. As I write this post my husband and father in law are in the middle of defending themselves from a couple who climbs the social ladder by repeatedly suing those who are unfortunate enough to come in contact with them.

Even if a verdict is won against someone so litigious, there are still attorney fees incurred for representation. Often times, the ones bringing suit pay nothing unless a verdict is reached in their favor; providing all the protection for the ones bringing suit, and nothing for those who must defend their name and livelihood against false claims.

It is here, in this place where fear and faith mingle, that I find myself at the throne of the Judge of all. The one who is my judge and savior has displayed His sovereignty over all the events in our lives, both the broad events and the details alike. I come into His presence aware that no detail has been overlooked by Him. Nothing is incidental when it comes to His own. I know that no experience here is wasted. It is in this knowledge and with this promise that I can move into the future with boldness, accepting what is rendered because I have put my trust where it can never be forsaken. My prayer is that the Lord, My Judge, would use this trial to display His strong hand to save, revealing His love and power in our lives, both to us and to all who are praying with us.

2 comments:

  1. The mingling of fear and faith ... a crossroads for all of us at many points in our journey. I hosted my fair share of these moments. What comfort I find in knowing my God, the Judge of all creation. Even when I haven't known justice in this life, I know it's coming.

    Praying for your family this night God's peace. Always peace...

    ~elaine / John 14:27

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautifully written post! I loved the way you tied in that Psalm with the injustice being done to your family through the court system. God is the one who will eventually make everything "fair" again.

    ReplyDelete